The Argus

Tributes pour in for ‘gracious’ and ‘upstanding’ victim in murder investigation

Emad Farag was found dead by police officers in a property in Hartfield Avenue, Brighton following reports of a man attacking multiple people on Tuesday at 7.30 am. Police officers found the 57-year-old inside the property with significant injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A woman and a boy were also located at the address with injuries and have been taken to hospital for treatment. A 19-year-old man from Brighton has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in c...
Read More
Filters & Sorting

Tributes pour in for ‘gracious’ and ‘upstanding’ victim in murder investigation

Emad Farag was found dead by police officers in a property in Hartfield Avenue, Brighton following reports of a man attacking multiple people on Tuesday at 7.30 am. Police officers found the 57-year-old inside the property with significant injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene. A woman and a boy were also located at the address with injuries and have been taken to hospital for treatment. A 19-year-old man from Brighton has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in c...

Grandfather guilty of groping younger woman on flight while she slept

Momade Jussab, 66, sexually assaulted the woman in her twenties after she fell asleep watching Grease on a flight from Doha. The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told the court she woke to find him sexually assaulting her under her clothing. Jussab, from London, admitted touching the woman and told police she had led him on and was 'asking for it'. A judge told him the woman was wholly blameless and he had shown no remorse. The woman had wrapped herself in blankets,...

Men charged after thousands of pounds worth of stock taken from phone shop

Sussex Police were called to the Three store in Montague Street, Worthing, following a break-in on March 7. Stock, including mobile phones and electronic devices such as headphones, was missing from the store room area, police said. Two suspects were identified by officers following CCTV enquiries. READ MORE: Man found not guilty of rape The two men were subsequently arrested on March 25. Robert May, 50, of no fixed address, and Joseph Perry, 41, of Whitebeam Road, Northbrook...

Teenage girl sexually assaulted in church grounds

Officers responded to a report that a girl had been sexually assaulted in the grounds of St Andrew & St Cuthman's Church, in Vicarage Lane, Steyning on Thursday at 9am. The incident is under investigation, and the victim is being supported by specialist officers. READ MORE: Man began sexually abusing girls when he was ten, court told Police have described the person they are looking for as a white man in his 20s, around 5 foot 7, with dark brown short hair, stubble, and brown eyes....

Teen accused of stabbing man in graveyard says he 'tried to defend himself'

Billy Ripley died soon after the knife fight in Hailsham last summer. The 20-year-old's single wound was not survivable, a jury at Lewes Crown Court was told earlier this month. The 17-year-old boy, who denies murder, said he froze when he saw Billy Ripley confront him with a huge knife in August 2024. The teen who denies the charge, told the jury at Lewes Crown Court that Ripley stabbed him twice in the arm and that he tried again but the boy had "jumped back". He said: "He trie...

Half marathon cancelled due to major chemical incident

Hastings Half Marathon has announced that it will not be going ahead today due to the multi-agency emergency incident launched when chemicals were found inside a property on the A259 Marina, St Leonards. The Nice Work Team and Hasting Lions have said that it is with "great disappointment" that they made the decision to cancel the event.  The statement on social media read: "Please know this decision was not taken lightly, we have tried absolutely everything, and we fully understand how d...

Armed police descend on house and seize 'offensive weapon'

The police were called to a report of a man having been seen with an axe in South Farm Road in Worthing on Saturday at 7pm. A local shopworker was said to have been threatened by the man that evening. The offensive weapon being seized (Image: EDDIE MITCHELL) A 40-year-old man of no fixed address was located in a property nearby and arrested on suspicion of affray and possession of an offensive weapon in a public place. A small hatchet was seized from the property. Sussex Police h...

Four teens arrested after shop worker attacked

Officers were called to reports of a group of youths stealing from the Co-Op in Barnham Road, Barnham, on March 13 at 5.44pm. Sussex Police said that after a member of staff challenged one of the teenagers, he was pushed and punched in the face, causing bleeding. Police reported that the youths then fled the scene, and that two of them ran across open fields and were pursued by officers for approximately one mile, where they were detained and arrested. The other two returned to the s...

Police officer blames parents for his driving offences

Seren Sriganesh, was a police officer in Brighton and Hove when he falsely blamed his parents as responsible for three separate driving offences. The 23-year-old pleaded guilty in January this year to conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation, fraud by failing to disclose information, and unlawfully obtaining personal data. The charges relate to offending between September 2020 and February 2024 when the then officer falsely blamed hi...

Company director put residents in high-rise flats at risk of 'potential death'

Mr Anthony Coates, from Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex, was the director of two companies involved in the purchase and renovation of Columbia House in Romany Road, Worthing around 2022. The former office building was being converted into a seven-storey high-rise block of flats. Coates allowed the flats to be occupied before the escape routes, the corridor and stairs, were signed off as fire safety compliant, West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service said. The fire service said that this “neglig...

Man arrested as raid on former police station uncovers cannabis farm

Officers were called to reports of cannabis plants growing inside the former station in Massetts Road in the Sussex border town of Horley on March 11 at 3.30pm. The raid uncovered an illegal cannabis farm with a large number of plants. Surrey Police has confirmed that a man has been arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of class B drugs. The man has been released on bail and enquiries remain ongoing. (Image: Eddie Mitchell) READ MORE: Vandals 'run rampage' throug...

Investigation launched into Poundland store fire

Emergency services were alerted to a store fire in Montague Street, Worthing on March 14 at 4.08pm after receiving multiple 999 calls.  West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that six fire engines and an aerial ladder platform were dispatched to the scene. Upon arrival, fire crews found smoke billowing from the first floor and roof of a large building in Montague Street, which was previously used as a department store. READ MORE: Vandals 'run rampage' through town throwing bricks a...

Firefighters tackle fire in Poundland

We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused. Please report any comments that break our rules. We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community - a place where readers can de...

Tributes pour in for 'wonderful' taxi driver who died in his car

Members of the Brighton and Hove Cab Trade Association have shared a tribute and a GoFundMe has been set up for Ezzat George's family. Ambulances and police cars shut off Boundary Road in Hove on Sunday night (March 9) due to the medical emergency. Emergency services on the scene (Image: Submitted) Sussex Police has since confirmed that a man aged 55 died. A force spokesman said: "Despite the best efforts of paramedics who commenced CPR, the man was sadly pronounced deceased at the s...

Chinese takeaway owner fined thousands after fire broke out in restaurant

The head of West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that "it is only through luck" that the fire at the Dragon and Peacock Chinese takeaway in Burgess Hill did not lead to a more "sinister" outcome. Yuting Zhuo was company director of the restaurant in Church Road at the time of the fire, caused by a faulty electrical supply, in September 2023. The 50-year-old was prosecuted over six charges that were brought to court under the Fire Safety Order. At the time of the incident, the fir...

Former police officer charged over indecent images of children

George Voisey, 23, was arrested on October 24 and following an investigation has been charged with one count of distributing an indecent image of a child and two counts of making indecent images of a child between June 22 and October 24. He was not on duty at the time of the alleged offences and was suspended from duty. He has since resigned from the force on March 1. READ MORE: Hove: Man arrested after Portland Road police incident He will appear before Brighton Magistrates’ Cou...

Pub fire that triggered large-scale emergency response was 'accidental'

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service sent ten fire engines to the incident at Gribble Inn, Oving, near Chichester, on Thursday at 5.38pm. When firefighters arrived, the roof space of the thatched pub was ablaze. A fire service spokeswoman said: "At the height of the incident we had ten fire engines and two aerial ladder platforms at the scene and residents living nearby were urged to keep their doors and windows closed due to the amount of smoke in the area." The fire service also con...

Former police officer denies 'sexually assaulting woman in alleyway'

Mike Sinden, a former custody officer and father-of-two, has denied sexual assault by penetration. Sinden told a jury they had been flirting and kissing earlier in the evening after drinking shots at a cocktail bar in Eastbourne on March 10, 2022. Sussex Police custody inspector Sinden, 36, denied pinning the woman against a wall in an alleyway and sexually assaulting her. Mr Sinden said they had kissed at a pub on two occasions on the night out. Rachel Beckett for the Crown told...
Load More Articles